Transportation Committee Program
Greater Spokane Valley Chamber of Commerce
Transportation Committee Meeting
Chair: Frank Tombari
City of Spokane Valley engineering staff will discuss the two options for realigning Pines Road to create an underpass below the BNSF Railway tracks south of Trent Avenue. The underpass will replace the at-grade railway crossing on Pines, resulting in improved safety, reduced vehicle congestion, and enhanced access to Interstate 90, emergency services and Trent Elementary School.
The project will greatly improve neighborhood livability and enhance vehicle and pedestrian safety. Overall the project:
- Eliminates the Pines Road/BNSF crossing — saving 3 hours per day (average gate-down time) in vehicle wait time.
- Improves commercial and residential traffic flow.
- Enhances access to I-90, SR-290 and other main arterials in the Spokane Valley transportation network.
- Increases access to key emergency services located on the south side of the city.
- Enhances access to Trent Elementary for school buses, as well as students and families traveling to and from surrounding neighborhoods.
- Eliminates 15 minutes of train horn noise per day at the crossing (based on 58 freight trains and two Amtrak passenger trains per day).